Monday, April 28, 2008

Paintball!

Had a pretty busy weekend in Taipei. On Friday night met up with some friends after work to grab pizza then headed to a lounge called The Bed. Bed has kind of an Eastern/Middle Eastern vibe and has areas of raised padded seating (kind of like a giant mattress) as well as normal tables. We grabbed a table, a bottle of Johnnie Walker, and some dice and hung out there until they closed around 3 am. People were coming and going all night so it was good time with lots of interesting people. After Bed closed we headed to Fuxing to grab some of those delicious rice and egg rolls I mentioned in a previous post, then it was home to my own bed for some sleep.

Saturday I went hiking south of Taipei City in an town called Xindian. It was a beautiful day and the hike was great although I was a little tired. There were a lot of platforms and lookout points along the trails which made nice places to stop and take a break. One thing about Asia in general is that safety regulations are not the same as in the US. None of the platforms had side rails and some of them were a good 20+ feet above rocky, sloping ground. Falling off of one of them would result in serious injury. But I guess they figure if you're dumb enough to get too close to the edge and fall off, it's your own fault. Personally I tend to agree.

Sunday was my first ever game of paintball. Nine of us met up and the paintball park for several hours of google wearing, gun wielding, sweaty fun. We played against another team and against each other on a couple of different courses. I only got one serious hit - on the inner thigh during the last game. It barely hurt yesterday, but this morning it had turned into a pretty ugly bruise. One guy got hit in the neck, wonder how he's doing today... Anyhow, it was a good time and something I would do again.

2 comments:

Rich M said...

Hey, I happened to Google "taipei paintball" and came across your timely post! I'm planning on going with friends this coming weekend--what did you think of the field you went to? Recommend to others?

Raché said...

It was good. We went to 147 Paintball Park in Neihu. It's the largest one in Taipei I believe. They have a bunch of different fields and courses and cost starts at 600NT per person. I haven't been to any others, but from what I've heard 147 is the best place for it.