Thursday, March 27, 2008

Breakfast

There is food for sale everywhere in Taipei. I don't think it's possible to walk more than a block without running across a restaurant, food stall, or fruit seller of some kind. Every morning I pass a row of food stalls on my way into the office, but have never eaten at any of them because I can't read the menu. Today though I decided to stop and try my luck at a stall selling what looks like big empanadas. So I walked up to the stall, smiled, and pointed at an empanada. The guy behind the counter said something to me which I couldn't understand and then showed me two bowls of the empanada filling. Both bowls looked to be filled with different combinations of veggies (sometimes they sneak pork into stuff so you never can be sure) so I just picked one and said 'yes.'

So what did I end up with? A pretty tasty empanada filled with steamed corn, lettuce, shredded carrots, mushrooms, and cellophane noodles. I also bought what I thought might be soy or rice milk (both very popular breakfast drinks), but was actually a slightly vanilla flavored milk with some sort of pudding/jelly stuff in the bottom. All in all, a successful breakfast adventure.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Very gutsy move to just point, purchase and eat. You're very brave Rache-son

Aa, A, K & M said...

sounds good!! you know what i've been craving - is our montly dim sum lunch...i haven't been since our last one which must have been in sept or oct!!