Sunday, November 2, 2008

Selçuk

It's Sunday afternoon here in the small town of Selçuk, our base for touring the ruins of Ephesus, and it's hot. Must be in the 80's which is actually pretty nice unless you're walking around a lot and sweating. Good thing I brought my sunglasses and some sunscreen. We walked around Ephesus yesterday and it's an amazing site with ruins of old baths, the Library of Celsus, an old amphitheater, lots of temples and gates, and the marble road that runs through it all. I would have loved to see the city 1,500 years ago when it was all still standing. We also visited the Temple of Artemis, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, but today only a single column remains so it's not much to look at.

We also visited a little village outside Selçuk where they produce wine. I didn't try any of the wine at the wineries, but I did have some homemade wine with my lunch. Let's just say it had an interesting taste - not quite wine, not quite juice, definitely homemade. Along with my wine I had an eggplant pancake - mashed eggplant wrapped in homemade flatbread and cooked over a wood fire. Then it was off to buy some soaps and knitted slippers before heading back to the hotel.

Today we visited the site of the Seven Sleepers and in a couple of hours we'll be heading back to the airport to catch a flight back to Istanbul.



1 comment:

Jamie said...

Sounds like such a fun trip! I'd love to see some photos on your blog!